Welcome 2017, we’ve been waiting for you. You can’t scroll down your Facebook without seeing something about how 2016 was the worst year ever and it should just already be over. How we can’t wait for 2017 to start because maybe it will be better. Most people are probably saying that in relation to the election. Some have just had it because we lost some really memory attached people in the last year and the last couple days. Its true, some really sad things have happened. We lost David Bowie, Antonin Scalia, Harper Lee, Joey Feek, Nancy Reagan, George Martin, Patty Duke, Muhammad Ali, Christina Grimmie, Anton Yelchin, Florence Henderson, Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds (and there are many more). The election was volatile, people rioted in the street and took time off from their school classes to cope.
But you know what, 2016 was full of some amazing things as well! I found a list, did some research, and wanted to share a few things with you.
- A new study showed that since 1990 woman and children dying in childbirth has halved.
- Malawi achieved a 67% reduction of children acquiring HIV
- Thailand became the first country in the world to eliminate mother to child transmission of HIV and syphilis
- World Hunger reached its lowest point in 25 years.
- Homelessness in the US decreased by 35%
- McDonalds announced it removed corn syrup from its hamburger buns and removed antibiotics from its chicken months ahead of schedule.
- The average number of large oil spills in the world went down from 24.5 in the 70s, to 1.8 in 2015.
- Manatees are no longer endangered
- Yellowstone’s grizzlies made a miraculous comeback
- Sea World agreed they would stop breeding captive killer whales
- Giant Pandas were taken off the endangered list
- 2015 was America’s most generous year…and 2016 is on track to be even bigger!!