Father’s Day is fast approaching, and while some people have probably already narrowed down their gifts for the dads in their life, some of us are still searching. Gift giving is one of my top love languages. If you are a person in my life you have probably received a random gift, card, coffee or even your favorite soda. The challenge of finding a gift that is perfect for the person and succeeding is a driver, but also just seeing that person smile makes me so happy! My favorite thing to do is the anonymous gift, but that is a different post for a different time. Today, the topic at hand is dads! Aside from the standard Tie, sometimes buying for a guy can prove difficult, especially if they don’t have a specific hobby that is easy to buy for. The other issue I often face is that if my husband or dad want something they usually get it for themselves. My husband, in particular, doesn’t really like a lot of “Stuff” so it can pose a problem. So I decided to put together a list of useful, cool and unique items for the Father in your life.
- A Super Cool Activity! – Maybe getting an actual thing doesn’t work for you this year. He’s maxed out on ties, doesn’t want a book and you have absolutely no idea what else to get him. Think about a unique and fun activity in your city. Whiskey or beer tasting for those that like to imbibe. Take the kids, or family, out for a nice lunch and then grab a babysitter to surprise him with an activity. Is there a City scavenger hunt, ghost tour or museum that they like. Here in DC many of the museums have really cool activities, check those out and maybe one of those might fit the bill. If they like music, look for a concert. Think outside the box and take a pass on adding something else to your home that might end up collecting dust and get out and do something instead!
- City Maps Gifts from WellTold – these are my newest obsession! I love things that tell a story of your life, whether that be wall art, my new favorite Candles from Homesick or these amazing city map bar and beer glasses. They are such a unique and interesting gift that becomes a conversation starter in your home or a reminder of a special event or time in your life. They have cities to choose from and state flasks as well.
- Rite in the Rain – I’ve included these on a gift list before, and I’m including them again because not only are they practical but they are pretty cool. If you have a spouse that works in the military, police, construction or even a spouse that loves the outdoors these are a must-have! From notebooks, paper pads to pocket calendars you can find something that your Dad or Husband will love! Mine has been using these products for at least fifteen years and swears by them.
- Sword & Plough – I’ve been lucky enough in my life to meet some pretty awesome people, and the ladies behind Sword & Plough are high up there on the list. Founding a company that reuses military products to make something new is pretty awesome. Giving back to Veterans and military families makes it even better. Founded by sisters, one of which is a Veteran herself, Sword & Plough offers all sorts of gifts for just about anyone! So keep this link for Mother’s Day, birthdays and Christmas! Awesome gifts for dudes include military cufflinks, toiletries bag, messenger and backpacks, card holders, mini wallets and belts. This is a purchase they will not only hopefully love, but you can also love the fact that you are purchasing something that will then help S&P (a certified B Corp) give back to those that serve our country. How can you not love that!
- DIFF Sunglasses – Speaking of giving back, I’m including DIFF on this list not necessarily because giving sunglasses is that unique, but because DIFF is a really amazing company that gives back to the community! Any way to combine gift giving with making a difference is high on my list. I love the DIFF company, what they stand for and their sunglasses and blue-light blocking glasses as well. Knowing that their gift is also giving back is just another gift for the person receiving them.
- Fisher Space Pen – This has been a go-to gift for many of the men in my life. This is the perfect gift because there are so many options in colors, styles, and you can even get them engraved. One of the gifts I gave my husband for a military accomplishment was a multi-purpose pen that had blue and red ink, a pencil and a laser pointer. I engraved it with his name and the accomplishment. If you have never heard of the Space Pen the basic gist of it is that it can work in the freezing cold, upside down and even in space! I love using mine to do my crosswords in bed like a real nerd!
- Fancy Shaving Stuff – Fancy shaving items are definitely a thing. Curated collections of beard oils and balms, as well as throwback shaving kits with brushes and one-blade razors. Some of my favorites include Beard Oil or Balm from Sugar + Spruce and shaving kit from Manready Mercantile in Houston, Texas. Manready also has a HUGE assortment of unique men’s gifts like whiskey flavored toothpicks and handmade leather products. The Art of Shaving has different scents and kits for not just shaving, but skin care as well. Just because they are men doesn’t mean they shouldn’t spend some time taking care of that skin.
- A Subscription Box – Subscriptions boxes are just for girls, although I will say I’m a sucker for a good subscription box. Having items delivered right to my door makes me so happy! There are several subscription box ideas for dads including Bump Box: The Dad Box, Stitch Fix, and Trunk Club. Boxes like Sprezza, deliver men’s accessories like tie tacks, watches, handkerchiefs, and socks – curated especially for them – delivered each month. For more ideas check out this list on Esquire!
Do you have a unique gift idea for the man in your life?
Leave a comment or join in the conversation on social media