We are about half-way into the first month of 2018! So, it’s a great time to share some of my favorite things that you should try, read and get for the new year.
First up, beauty supplies! 2017 was the year of trying all the beauty supplies. I can’t even begin to tell you how many I’ve tried this year. From cleansers, to lipsticks, and even some muscle rub!
- REDKEN No Blow Dry NBD – Since blow drying my hair is my least favorite thing to do, even at its short length, when I spied something specifically meant for that I jumped at the chance to give it a try! This stuff is actually designed to help your hair air-dry faster, while being able to style it! I use it every day. There are three formulas – for thick hair, find hair and medium hair. available at ulta and amazon
- Skinfood Egg White Pack, Korean Skin Care – I have several Korean friends that are always raving about Korean skin care products. This is my first one, and I’m going to head back for some more. This product is basically like a Biore strip, although I felt like it worked so much better. Plus, I love a brand that prides itself on quality ingredients, working with eco-friendly and responsible farmers across the world. That’s something I can get behind. available at ulta, skinfood.com, and amazon
- Clinque Take the Day Off cleansing balm – I picked this up on whim in the check out at Ulta. You know how that happens. This little tiny purple container is literally amazing! It is light, doesn’t make me greasy and goes a long way. It does a pretty fantastic job on my color-stay lipsticks and eye make-up. available at Ulta and amazon
- AP24 Whitening Flouride Toothpaste – Now I’m going to admit to you right off the bat that I totally committed the ultimate blogger sin and didn’t do a before an after photo. But lets be real, I’ve got three kids and life is crazy!!! I head about this from my girlfriend who competes in the Mrs. America pageants. She raves about it. So I’ve been using it, with the kiddos as well. I definitely would recommend this to anyone looking for something like this. It takes good, my kids like it, and it does an amazing job at whitening teeth without harmful peroxides. available from an independent rep, NuSkin.com or amazon (for an amazing price!)
- RimmelLondon Provocolips 16 Hr Kiss Proof Lipstick – Obsessed is probably a light way of explaining how much I love this lipstick. I think I have about six colors and I wouldn’t mind adding in some more. While being a lover of lipstick means I have a lot in my collection, I also love my husband. So my first foray into kissable lips was when I got married thirteen years ago, and I’ve been on a constant hunt ever since. Of all the ones I’ve tried recently Rimmel’s Kiss Proof knocks it out of the park. It goes on smooth, doesn’t automatically adhere to your teeth (which I had found with similar brands), and while it is Kiss Proof I don’t have to take one million layers off my lips to get it to come off. Go get some!!! available at most drug stores (CVS, Walgreens, rimmellondon.com and amazon (i linked my favorite color)
- Cover Girl TruNaked Smokey Eye Pallet – this is a brand new product I got to try thanks to Influenster (if you don’t use Influenster you have to give it a try! You don’t need a blog – use my referral link ) The pigment on these colors is crazy amazing and this is perfect for creating those smokey eye looks for date night! available at drug stores and amazon
- Revitalift Intensive Overnight Mask – Oh man I love this stuff! Being honest with myself about taking care of my skin as I settle into my mid-thirties was a battle. But here I am, accepting it, and valuing the amazing skin genetics has given me by not taking that for granted. Extra bonus of this is that it keeps my skin looking and feeling amazing in these brutal East Coast winters! Yuck! This California girl does not like what this weather does to my skin. $24.99 seems steep but when you are investing in the future of your skin, its totally reasonable. available at CVS, Walgreen and Amazon
- Sugar + Spruce Muscle Rub – previously known as Ladyburg, Sugar + Spruce is a military family owned business located in Fredricksburg, Virginia. I love love love this place! I may just make a whole post devoted to all the products I love from them. For all of you that are re-dedicating yourself to getting back to the gym or running (like me) this is exactly what you need. Make with pure and quality oils infused with natural muscle soothers like Capscian and St John’s Wart, this is my go to product post-workout.
- Frumos Palazzo Pants – These pants are life, and I secretly dub them my period pants. When I’m tried of wearing leggings these are my pants! I’m already trying to decide what color I’m going to order these in next. They are so comfortable and I’m excited to style them for all types of occasions, not just lounging around the house (available in plus size!!) Way to go amazon fashion! click image to purchase
2. Leggings Depot Leggings – I was on the hunt for some plain black leggings that were buttery soft and I had heard from someone that they had gotten some leggings off Amazon. Since I now apparently buy everything on Amazon, why not give it a shot! They aren’t see through and they didn’t fall apart in the first wash so I could that as a win. click image to purchase
- Jamie Farrell, Officer’s Ex-Wives Series – I love this series and I keep bugging her to write more! If you’re looking for a fun series to read this year add this to your list. Her Rebel Heart is book one.
- Jamie Farrell, Misfit Brides Series – I may be a little partial to Jamie. She’s a fellow military spouse and a lover of all things southern (including Luke Bryan, so you know…). Blissed is book one.
- Kim Mills, Way Home Series – Another military spouse, but this time Canadian, Kim Mills is a new writer on the scene and her books are fabulous! There are two books in the series, All the Way Home is book one.
- Finding Chandra Levy – If you like true crime, this was on my list for 2017. It’s written well and an easy read. I picked it up, having known some of about the case since I was living near where she was from at the time of the case. Now that I’m living in Washington, DC I thought it was time to pick this up and see what I could learn.
- The Killer of Little Shepherds – This is a true crime genre book all about the birth of Forensic Science, and the case involved in the creation.
- Becoming Winston Churchill – My mom read a book about WC, so I too set out looking for one. If you also were a fan of The Crown and became intrigued by this interesting character, that was towards the end of his life during that story line, I suggest you learn a little bit more about the great man.