This year has been a super fun year for beauty and make-up products. I feel like I’ve evolved in that department. From not being afraid to try something new a different, my Julep and Ipsy and Jaclyn Hill YouTube videos, its been a red-letter year. These are not necessarily products that came out in 2015, but new to me in 2015; and are all products that I will continually use after this first purchase. I would describe myself as somewhat picky when it comes to what I put on my body and I love to try a lot of things. I’m also a loyalist when it comes to my make-up, and rarely deviate. But the last year I’ve had the opportunity to try things that I probably never would have tried and its led to some great new discoveries. These are some of my favorites!
1. Julep Bare Face Cleansing Oil – I know, I know, cleansing OIL!! Crazy right? I would have thought this would have gone terribly. Putting oil all over my face? And having moved to a more humid part of our country I’ve noticed a more oily appearance to my skin, and had to change my whole regiment. So the thought of using oil on my face would be nuts right? Wrong!! As long as this product is used correctly it is amazing! It leaves my face feeling amazing, doesn’t clog up my pores and really does a marvelous job of cleansing. Make sure that your face and hands are completely dry! It will remove make-up, but not eye make-up. I’ve been using this for almost a whole year now and have noticed no negative side-effects of using an oil-based cleanser. It using rose-hip seed, grape and olive and is cruelty free. $28.00
2. Almay Smart Shade Products – These are recent discovery for me, and I’m a die-hard Mary Kay user, and have been for years. I had the amazing pleasure of being able to try these products for free, as they were given to me at an event. I’ve been using the concealer, make-up and loose finishing powder. This has been a great, light, everyday type of make-up. It goes on smoothly, doesn’t feel heavy and has decent coverage. It includes an spf of 15 which is always a welcome addition. What I’ve loved about Almay products is that they are all formulated for sensitive skin and have a commitment to being hypo-allergenic, which is great. And from what I’ve seen Almay products are fairly affordable. Almay products are cruelty free. Products available at several retailers.
3. Almay One Coat Thickening mascara – Another new Almay product! This year I’ve tried about five different mascaras. Its been a crazy mascara year. But this one, the most recent one I’ve tried has been one of my favorites for the year. It doesn’t get everywhere when you put it on. This can be such a problem for me because my eyelashes are fairly long, and when I go to put my lower lid mascara on the tips of my top lashes can smudge all over my eye-lid. This most frequently happens if I have a really wet mascara. Almay’s mascara gives great coverage without being goopy and has done really well with having no clumps as of yet.
4. Julep Pore-minimizing blush – Another pleasant surprise in my maven box one time was this pore minimizing blush. I’ve received in two different colors in my monthly boxes and just absolutely adore it. It smells amazing (which I know is weird), it has the most amazing coverage and color. A little goes a long way. You barely have to tap this stuff and you get enough, which is a mistake that I made when I first used it. Currently this is available in a set with Julep’s bronzer, which I haven’t tried yet. Bronzer/Blush set is on sale right now for $36.00.
5. Fruit Enzyme Mask from Ladyburg – I’m going to tout a local business, because I just love to support that kind of stuff. Ladyburg is a local Virginia bath and body type shop. Products are made in store, vegan, uses amazing oils, natural for your body and they have something for everyone! I use the baby/kid stuff, my husband has tried the shaving stuff, we use their hand soap in the bathroom. Lets just say I’m a fan. For Christmas my hubby helped feed my Ladyburg addiction and purchased me something that has been on my “want” list. An enzyme mask is amazing if you’ve never tried one. It is cooling and soothing to your skin. It mildly exfoliates, taking away dead skin cells to help renew and revitalize your skin. Its just amazing!! A little goes a really, really long way and this tub will last you forever! $17.95.
6. Tarte LipSurgence Skintuitive Lip Gloss – I received this product in my Ipsy bag a couple of months ago. It moisturizes and makes my lips feel amazing. It can be a very thick lip so this is another, little goes a long way, item. It is a clear lipgloss that works with the color of your own lips that creates a look that is uniquely you! It also has a flat applicator, which is something that I’ve never seen before. Tarte lipstick as Vitamin E, jojoba oil and flower extract. It has antioxidants that help smooth fine lines and wrinkles as well. $17.00
7. treStique lip crayon – Another product received in my Ipsy bag was this lip crayon. I’d never used this type of lipstick before and I’ve got to say it is a pretty cool product. It goes on super smooth and is a liner and stick in one. The crayon is meant to be paired with their lip balm, but can be used solo for sure. The product I have isn’t the dual crayon/balm product but the solo crayon alone. The dual stick, with coordinating lip balm is available for $28.00.
8. Almay Smart Shade Butter Kiss – The smart shade lipstick line is a pretty cool concept. You choose a lip color based on your skin shade. I picked up this shade when I was given the other products based on sight alone. I really had no idea that it was a smart shade product. I own red-light, which is probably one shade lighter than I need to be in, but its a great color. I will say that this product, at least for me goes on much like a tint or a colored balm rather than a lip stick. But the smoothness of this is out of this world. I feel like I can apply it similarly to a gloss in that I don’t have to be staring at myself while doing it, as I would a normal lipstick. And this is also a wetter lipstick, in that it doesn’t feel cakey or dry on my lips.
9. L’Oreal Paris Iffallible Pro-Last – I love a good lipstick. I think lipstick is such a classic look and people don’t wear it much. I guess in favor of a more natural look. But, I power on with my lipstick people! Lipstick and mascara are my go to when I need a refresher! The hubbs however, doesn’t appreciate the wearing of lipstick on his own face, so in times of need I search out a smudge-proof lipstick. L’Oreal gets the deployment seal of approval here! I picked up this particular shade (Passionate Petal) to go with my most recent homecoming outfit. Now if you’ve never used a smudge-proof type liptick there are usually two parts, a lip color and a balm that goes over the top. You need them both. This is a great full-coverage color and what I particularly liked about this duo is the balm that went with it. I didn’t feel the need to reapply it. That is a common problem in this type of lipstick, at least from my experience. I’ve been a die-hard smudge-proof user since my wedding day! And it was a L’Oreal back then too! I think in the last almost twelve years they’ve upped their game and improved upon their formula for this particular type. If you’re looking for a kissable lipstick for homecoming, look no further! I’m headed back to actually pick me up a more red-shade, since I’ve got my pinks covered. $12.99 and I purchased mine at the Exchange.
10. Beach Head Sea Salt Texturizing Spray from Beyond the Zone – Watching my favorite hair style blogger, Kate from The Small Things Blog, on YouTube you learn a few things. Like, what the heck is texturizing spray and why should I be using it. This is my first product of that kind that I’ve used and I love it. I’m ready to check out more brands and see what else is out there, but I picked this up at my local Sally’s Beauty Supply because I just had to try something! It definitely does what it says it does and it’s very easy to use. If you’re a newbie to texturizing spray and don’t want to fork over a lot of money just to try it out, I would definitely recommend giving this spray a try. $8.49